Happy TBR Thursday!
As we’ve mentioned in other book club TBR posts, we choose our books by consensus — we each bring suggestions and decide together what we’re going to read next. This time, we had a clear winner in our selection because we all love a good secret society magic tournament.
Our book club pick for April 2022 is The Atlas Six by Olivie Blake.
“The Alexandrian Society is a secret society of magical academicians, the best in the world. Their members are caretakers of lost knowledge from the greatest civilizations of antiquity. And those who earn a place among their number will secure a life of wealth, power, and prestige beyond their wildest dreams. Each decade, the world’s six most uniquely talented magicians are selected for initiation – and here are the chosen few…
– Libby Rhodes and Nicolás Ferrer de Varona: inseparable enemies, cosmologists who can control matter with their minds.
– Reina Mori: a naturalist who can speak the language of life itself.
– Parisa Kamali: a mind reader whose powers of seduction are unmatched.
– Tristan Caine: the son of a crime kingpin who can see the secrets of the universe.
– Callum Nova: an insanely rich pretty boy who could bring about the end of the world. He need only ask.
When the candidates are recruited by the mysterious Atlas Blakely, they are told they must spend one year together to qualify for initiation. During this time, they will be permitted access to the Society’s archives and judged on their contributions to arcane areas of knowledge. Five, they are told, will be initiated. One will be eliminated. If they can prove themselves to be the best, they will survive.
Most of them.”
If you want to join our secret magical society, read it with us this month! We’d love for you to add your thoughts when we post the wrap-up following our April book club meeting.
Photo of magic girl by Almos Bechtold on Unsplash